Sunday, August 30, 2009

I 'heart' good things..

I have just completed what is for me each year one of the busiest weeks of my life. Our amazing new Freshmen are here and moved in officially beginning their classes. Anyway-- before they all get here there are just a few things that I always must do....well, first of all house them....we are right now right at just over the 500 incomings students....and with the returning students we are talking about housing about 1300 people....so...that has been something that I have been working on for awhile....I love this time of year- it is a wonderfu time for me to meet our new young "family" members and do all I can to make this transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible for all. But believe it or not that isn't what has been keeping me busy...I am busy because I have 9 wonderful Residence Hall Supervisors that I work with, take care of and go to bat for....and we do our training before any of our students arrive....it is a blessing and sometimes stressful...but wonderful to remind them that they have a great job...a great opportunity to make a difference for young adults.....we work on our training and planning for a full day....and it mostly takes every minute of it....but it is good and enjoyable....and I am thankful for them- there is not one of them that does this job for the money- and yes, they could all do other things- but they see this as their own ministry- being a mentor and a friend- a confidant and a parent away from home. I have also just completed about 4 days....worth of training with some of the best people I know. I get the opportunity to work with and train and teach our 34 Resident Assistants......we spend lots of time together...get to know each other-- learn about each other.....praying together......thinking and planning and working on all the ideas we hope to accomplish....I spend tons of time talking to them.....telling them about what a great great job they have-- what a joy it can be to them and to others if they will use it....we go through extensive training and planning and find a bit of time for some fun....but these young people.....they are nothing short of amazing! They are special and they care about those they work with....they have to deal with some pretty serious stuff that goes on in the halls and yet they do it with a good attitude and a spirit of service....what a joy! I know this because- I see it or hear about it everyday. I grow to love these students each year....because of all that they do.....during one of the recent training days I sat and listened as they told what their purpose was- as they shared things like: to be a servant, to make a difference, to love those that have no one to love them, and yes, to represent Christ... and then we prayed together.....I sat and wept as I thought about the way God sends things to us at just the right time...when we are hurting or upset we look around and God has sent something wonderful......He is good. The earliest I left work during this training was 9 pm and I love that we are getting so much done-- the gift of these young people that I have been blessed with....the good things.....WOW. I can't begin to describe it. I watch the faces of these young adults and I see their passion for what they do....it gives me a feeling that I can only describe as good. I think this must be how God's heart must feel when he sees the good things that we strive to do-the feeling I have about these young people is so strong- so joyful- so overwhelming and I want to spend my life giving that feeling to my Father. These are good things... and I 'heart good things.

No comments: