Saturday, September 5, 2009

New or Old

A few nights ago two of our newest friends came over to the house with Blake- Lincoln and Haley- they are two very precious freshman- who will soon (more than likely) join the XBX family. which sorta means they will become regulars at our home....because of my boys. I love this!! I noticed several times in the course of the evening that Lincoln would say things that were so spiritual- one of those things was that someday he wants to be President- I asked him why and he said something to the effect of- well, I just wanted to do something that would show the power of God...I know he doesn't know me well enough for me to cry over a statement like that-- but, I just wanted to. I watched the two of them lots and talked lots and felt that familiar bond start to form-I know that there are so many people that cross through my life- literally each semester new people come to FH and I get to meet most all of them and many of them become young people that I love and that even as I meet them for the first time-- I realize that it will be may be only four short years that I will have the blessing of having them in my life-- it seems a bit well....almost unfair. Just yesterday, some of my dear "old" college kids came in to visit me (Michael and Alyssa)- they are a young married couple- who I originally helped to set up. I love them both very much-they are truly special to me- one of the things they shared with me is some of the places they may live when they are both (she has already finished) finished with school- one of those places in Texas!!!!!! Not gonna lie- that sad and yucky feeling hit my stomach as I thought about them being so far away. I know going in to each relationship that I am 'risking' this yucky feeling. In all honestly- I wouldn't trade it. To quote a line from one of the great movies: "I would rather have 5 minutes of wonderful than a whole life time of nothing special." I realize even as I write those words- it is something special...the job I have- the blessing of these young people who I have the privilege of watching grow and become even more wonderful than they thought they could be. I also realize the great gift that God has placed in my life- by giving me these sometimes 4 years of being able to help them, care for them, love them, and yes, even teach them. I get to watch them in their great joys from a softball win to engagement ring....and I get to hold their hand through some difficulties- from a roommate crisis to the loss of a family member. What a blessing they are in my life-- I get the joy of seeing my own children as they learn from some of the most amazing friends they could have - as I hear them talk about staying up til 4 discussing a fellow brothers struggle and I love them for these things. I watch them as one young soul makes a change in their life by going forward at church and I see 20 or 200 of his or her peers surround them with love and care.
Each time one of them leaves me -- I say to myself- I will NOT get this close to another student and then there I go again-- loving yet one more 'child'. I cannot stop this crazy cycle-- and honestly I wouldn't want to-- I really do know that each time my path crosses with one of these wonderful people-- I give a bit of my heart away and yet--somehow- each time my heart feels more full- my life richer and heaven's future sweeter. I look at these two special young people- Lincoln and Haley and I realize that these new friends are as much a part of the big God picture as my dear sweet Michael and Alyssa. I wouldn't change a thing-- new or old.

2 comments:

Dale's Spot said...

That is awesome! How could any parent complain about tuition at FHU? Thank you for allowing God to use you in such a powerful way. "I am proud of you" :)

Holly-- The Storm Chaser said...

Missie!! I love your blog! What a sweet post. I can somewhat relate, living in a university town myself. I always hate when good friends at church graduate or find other jobs with different schools.
I LOVE the pics of your boys too. They are so grown and handsome! Love, Holly Beth