Saturday, September 26, 2009

Thank you Dr. Warren

I never remember talking to him when I didn't walk away feeling better- I remember the very first time I ever met he and Susan-- we had lived here only a short time and one Sunday night at church- they invited us to a game night with their supper club- there were 6 couples and it was such a wonderful evening- Susan was a wonderful hostess and Lindsey was so special and sweet and such a dear soul. We felt so welcomed by them and knew that we would become friends.....Lindsey had known my brother for several years already and Jeff had told me that he was a great great man. It was wonderful to find two such loving and gracious folks who were literally full of the goodness of Christ. Later, I had the privilege of sitting at his feet in Bible class- he always gave us a great amount of things to think about- things to help us improve our life and our service. Vic and I never left his class without some great discussion and some great studying later.
When I coached cheerleading- Lindsey, without fail, came to me and the girls after ever game and told us how much he appreciated our hard work, that he was proud of them. That meant so much to our girls- after about the third season of this he came to me to ask me if he could do something to get a pep club started-- he wanted to see the school support the teams- I thought this was a bit odd for him but then he told me the real reason- he told me that it might be a great outreach. Dr. Warren knew that some of the student athletes were not Christians or didn't have the blessing of coming from a wonderful Christian home-- he and I spent lots of time talking about outreach to them. He loved the students so much-- it was the biggest thing we had in common. He would often cry when he was talking to me about some student that was struggling.... He would pray with me- when I begin to see my own life start to unravel a bit. Each time I saw him he would ask about my life and how things were going and then- I would get a note from him letting me know he cared. He was a good good soul. A man that I had such respect for-- a man that had so much respect for his Father- both earthly and heavenly.
Lindsey loved Susan- as she started getting sick- he really had no idea how to let people help him. It was so difficult because he had always been the one that helped others-- Eventually he let people in and I really believe the only reason he did was because of his love for her.....He never let on that he was hurting or that he was in any pain. He just spent his time taking care of her. Susan had blessed his life so much for so long and he knew he needed her to do the same as her situation worsened.
I would often try to say thank you to Lindsey for things I knew he had done- things that he didn't know to many people were aware of-- a letter here, a gift there, a prayer or a plan to help someone. He didn't want to be thanked- he wanted to just be allowed to do things for others...and this he did well.
It has been a difficult week for those of us who loved and were loved by Lindsey- When the world said good bye to Lindsey Warren- they said good-bye to one of our heros-- one of the kindest people I have ever known, one of our greats, one of God's greatest servants. I know that the greatest gift that we could give to this dear man-would be to be a little kinder, a little more giving, to reach out to those in need- to help someone who was hurting- and to do all we could to bring others to Christ. Our loss is great, our pain is real but Heaven is sweeter and our desire to be there becomes yet again richer.

1 comment:

Dale's Spot said...

Really really awesome. Lindsey was as sweet a man as you would ever meet. His dad was a forceful powerful polemic and Lindsey had a brain the size of Texas but his sweet spirit made him so special. A real golden Christian.